The decision to hospitalize a child must be made very carefully and only after less restrictive alternatives are deemed to be inappropriate. The first concern of Parkwood Behavioral Health System’s Child Program is to provide a safe, nurturing environment for a child’s special needs.
We are here to help:
The following are signs which may indicate that an adolescent behavioral health evaluation can be useful:
- Marked fall in school performance
- Poor grades in school despite trying very hard
- Severe worry or anxiety, as shown by regular refusal to go to school, go to sleep or take part in activities that are normal for the child’s age
- Frequent physical complaints
- Hyperactivity; fidgeting; constant movement beyond regular playing with or without difficulty paying attention
- Persistent nightmares
- Persistent disobedience or aggression (longer than 6 months) and provocative opposition to authority figures
- Frequent, unexplainable temper tantrums
- Threatens to harm or kill oneself
The Child Program is designed for children, ages 4 – 11, and the following services are provided:
Acute Inpatient Services
The Parkwood Pre-adolescent unit provides care for children who need an intensive therapeutic structure providing medical and behavioral health treatment. Within a caring environment administered by a multi-disciplinary team of mental health professionals who specialize in child behavioral health. Therapeutic components include individual, group and family therapy, and activity therapy.
Services for children include:
- Yoga Kids
- Process Groups
- Recreational Therapy
- Relaxation Groups
- Artistry Based Groups
Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)
Parkwood Behavioral Health System’s Pre-Adolescent Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) provides intensive therapeutic treatment for children who do not require full inpatient but require a higher level of care than typical outpatient programs. In addition the Pre-Adolescent PHP provides care for children transitioning from inpatient care to home. Our Pre-Adolescent PHP offers a confidential, nurturing environment with treatment administered by a multi-disciplinary team of psychiatrists, nurses and therapists who specialize in child behavioral health services. Partial Hospitalization combines a structured and individualized care within a day treatment option. For more information or a no charge assessment contact Parkwood Behavioral Health System at 1-800-477-3422.