The decision to hospitalize a child must be made very carefully and only after less restrictive alternatives are deemed to be inappropriate. The first concern of Parkwood Behavioral Health System’s Child Program is to provide a safe, nurturing environment for a child’s special needs.
We are here to help:
The following are signs which may indicate that an adolescent behavioral health evaluation can be useful:
- Marked fall in school performance
- Poor grades in school despite trying very hard
- Severe worry or anxiety, as shown by regular refusal to go to school, go to sleep or take part in activities that are normal for the child’s age
- Frequent physical complaints
- Hyperactivity; fidgeting; constant movement beyond regular playing with or without difficulty paying attention
- Persistent nightmares
- Persistent disobedience or aggression (longer than 6 months) and provocative opposition to authority figures
- Frequent, unexplainable temper tantrums
- Threatens to harm or kill oneself
The Child Program is designed for children, ages 4 – 11, and the following services are provided:
Acute Inpatient Services
The Parkwood Pre-adolescent unit provides care for children who need an intensive therapeutic structure providing medical and behavioral health treatment. Within a caring environment administered by a multi-disciplinary team of mental health professionals who specialize in child behavioral health. Therapeutic components include individual, group and family therapy, and activity therapy.
Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)
Parkwood Behavioral Health System’s Pre-Adolescent Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) provides intensive therapeutic treatment for children who do not require full inpatient but require a higher level of care than typical outpatient programs. In addition the Pre-Adolescent PHP provides care for children transitioning from inpatient care to home. Our Pre-Adolescent PHP offers a confidential, nurturing environment with treatment administered by a multi-disciplinary team of psychiatrists, nurses and therapists who specialize in child behavioral health services. Partial Hospitalization combines a structured and individualized care within a day treatment option.
For more information or a no charge assessment contact Parkwood Behavioral Health System at 1-800-477-3422.